Bodies for Birth
We’ve all heard the generic recommendation for exercise in pregnancy, “Do what you’ve been doing and listen to your body.” Well, at Bodies for Birth, we believe and know we can do better.
People ask us what makes us different…we’ll tell you:
It’s the intentional program design, the childbirth education woven into every single class. It’s the specialized services that have been created based on exactly what the pregnant and postpartum body needs to feel it’s best. It’s our community of mamas who long to be active participants in their journey throughout motherhood–individuals seeking education, informed decision making and holistic wellness. It’s the village of friendship that grows week after week.
Ours is a powerful, loving community of strong mamas! If you’re ready to feel energized, strong and to gain fitness in pregnancy (yes, it’s possible!!), let’s get started! We welcome you to join us!
Signature Group Training (SGT):
This is the class we’re most well known for and the one that’s helping mamas to experience more empowered birth experiences!
Our program is progressive in nature, meaning that you can join at any time in pregnancy and can continue right up until delivery! SGT is booked for four consecutive weeks with new sessions beginning monthly. With a new class each week, we build in strength and endurance. By week four, you will most certainly feel stronger! Our classes are appropriate for all stages and fitness levels. Participating throughout pregnancy is strongly recommended as you’ll gain the most benefits from continuing to work with your evolving body right up until delivery! Preconception and postpartum clients are always welcome as well!
What you can expect:
– Professional, specialized instruction with modifications for all levels of fitness and the common discomforts of pregnancy and postpartum.
– Functional body weight exer cises and resistance training.
– To learn about and practice the fundamentals that will help to maintain comfort in pregnancy including alignment, diaphragmatic breathing and core strength.
– Cardio intervals and specialized labor preparation intervals with guided imagery and visualization to help you stay strong, toned and fit!
– To gain not only physical strength and endurance, but mental resilience as well.
– To train your mind and body to recover efficiently from physical exertion and to remain calm despite a body that’s working hard physically. These tools are essential for every individual’s labor preparation!
– A supportive, fun class environment.
– A warm, loving community.
– A clean, inviting fitness space that was intentionally designed with your needs and comfort in mind.
Mom & Baby Gym (MBG):
It IS possible to coordinate many moms and babies for postpartum group classes, but it’s not easy! In fact, what we’ve noticed is that it adds a significant layer of stress to what should be a relaxing, joyful experience!
In addition to our own observations, we’ve been listening to what you want and need. MBG is an innovative, flexible way to meet your fitness needs postpartum!
With intentionally designed curriculum and oversight from a perinatal fitness professional, you will feel safe and supported as you return to fitness!
Not to mention, flexible scheduling and no childcare required for the little ones! You’ve always got the option to pop in solo to utilize the Bodies for Birth Space during designated MBG hours too. Do what works best for you!
MBG is offered from 11 am-1 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Thursdays with the exception of holidays.
What you can expect:
– Your own fully equipped station with space for baby at your side, max of six mom/baby pairs in the space at a time
– An appropriately designed Postpartum Strength Training Circuit addressing the common aches and pains of motherhood
– Progressive Core and Pelvic Floor Training
– Supervision from a perinatal fitness professional
– Access to all equipment on-site including stability balls, mats, free weights, kettlebells, resistance bands, loop bands, pilates balls, sliders, steps and more
– A clean, safe environment with all the amenities you need to care for both yourself and baby: including a cozy area for feeding and cuddling, complimentary snacks and beverages, changing table with supplies, clean toys for baby, access to resources and community for mom
– A roughly 30 minute workout full body strength training workout (give or take baby-care and cuddle breaks)!
– An opportunity to connect with other moms and at least one on-site perinatal fitness professional
– Support, Community, Connection, Flexibility
– Your Village at Bodies for Birth
Return to Fitness Program (RTF):
Want to get back to running? Anxious to return to Crossfit? Climbing? Zumba? The results clients experience in our RTF program are amazing!
We take the guesswork out of returning to fitness postpartum, your job is to join us for a progressive eight week retraining program. This program was designed for the group setting after seeing great success in one-on-one sessions, but it does require commitment from you!
Each week, we will progress your training in-person and you will go home with a new series of exercises to complete on your own. You will receive a PDF of this new routine following each class and will have access to a video library in case you need reminders along the way!
Our aim is to help you gain strength, confidence and knowledge so that you may return to your beloved fitness activities safely and with greater ease.
What you can expect:
– Professional, specialized instruction with modifications for all levels of postpartum fitness.
– To gain, strength, stamina and fitness
– To shed the common aches and pains of motherhood and postpartum
– To feel increased energy and mood
– To feel better in your body, more connected to your core and stronger overall
– To look forward to our weekly in person meeting and to growing your village with your classmates
– A supportive, fun class environment
– A warm, loving community
Want to learn more!? We’d love to hear from you!
– E-mail to schedule your free 15-minute consultation via video chat or in person: email@example.com
– If you’re ready to jump right in, visit http://bodiesforbirth.com to sign up!
– You can always give us a call, we’re available and happy to help! (206) 734-5902
– Stop by in person: 6512 Phinney Ave N, Seattle 98103
For our parenting blog visit:
“During my third pregnancy, I found Bodies for Birth while researching diastasis recti. My goals for this pregnancy were to 1) actually attend a prenatal workout class while pregnant, and 2) manage my diastasis recti that had occurred after my second pregnancy. I found Maura’s website to be a wealth of resources, many of which aligned with my current interests of the mind-body connection and its role in health. I quickly scheduled a one-on-one in order to join a prenatal class. Once in the class, I was struck by the immediate community formed just by joining a Bodies for Birth class. However, the classes are also small and intimate enough to allow for individualized focus and attention. Maura provides constant education about birth and the birth process, drawing correlations between what we do each session to how it can be used during birth. Further, each class was much more than a fitness class as Maura included breath work, meditations, and more to help prepare us for birth. I was able to use many of these tools we practiced during my third birth, resulting in my most enjoyable and mindful experience of all three. And now, I am getting ready to join a post-natal class to safely and effectively build back my core and overall body strength, while also continuing to build my personal mindfulness practice. I thoroughly enjoy and appreciate the community Maura has built and continues to build with Bodies for Birth. With current trends and research identifying the mind-body connection and its importance in overall health, Maura and Bodies for Birth embody this holistic approach by providing an environment that supports pre- and postnatal health. For anyone looking to create lasting fitness changes while building enduring connections during this sometimes difficult, but most wonderful, perinatal time, I highly recommend Bodies for Birth!” – Becky M
“I had a wonderful experience working with Maura at Bodies for birth. I had always been super active before pregnancy and wanted to stay as strong and active as possible while pregnant. I wasn’t sure, however, what exercise was safe to perform during pregnancy. Working with Maura was amazing because I completely trusted her to design a safe, effective strength training program for my pregnancy and postpartum time. I think I got stronger during my pregnancy than I had been before and I know that I had more energy than I would have without working with her. It was an added bonus that my body recovered much more quickly than I expected after birth. I would recommend Bodies for Birth to anyone who is looking to stay strong and feel good during pregnancy.” – Kerry S
“I honestly want to be the “poster child” for Bodies for Birth! At age FORTY-SEVEN, I became pregnant with my second child. During my first pregnancy, at age 44, I signed up for prenatal yoga classes because that was all that I was familiar with. While I enjoyed the yoga classes, I can see now that they did not benefit me nearly as much as the Bodies for Birth classes have. By the third trimester of my first pregnancy, I had such severe back pain that I had to stop going to the yoga classes. With my current pregnancy, I am due in 3 weeks and still going strong! I think the difference is that Bodies for Birth classes are well-rounded (no pun intended) in that we focus on stretching AND strengthening. The classes involve working with both upper and lower body, and include working with weights. My husband was shocked to hear that I was doing push-ups in the class! LOL! I have gotten so many compliments about how great I look and how limber I am (as I sit “criss-cross applesauce” with no problem). I LOVE the security of knowing that Maura is an RN and Perinatal Fitness Specialist. I don’t think I would feel as secure if I were in a “regular” fitness class. Also, I have felt ZERO competition among the women in the group. Maura encourages us all to go at our own pace and modify as necessary. It is so refreshing to have such camaraderie with other women who are all on the same path. I’m so thankful that Maura offers postpartum classes as well! I would be so sad if I could not continue to work out with these wonderful women! I understand that prenatal yoga is very popular. I encourage you to consider Bodies for Birth classes instead of, or in addition to, yoga. Go MAMA!” – Linda S
“Maura has helped me transition my active lifestyle into pregnancy. Our society tells us that pregnant woman have a disability and they need to rest and “take care of themselves” which usually means a sedentary lifestyle. I believe that staying as active as possible is how we take care of ourselves both physically and emotionally. The problem I found is that I didn’t know what that looked like in pregnancy or what activities were safe to continue for myself and my baby. The exercise classes have empowered me to explore natural birth options and given me confidence in maintaining a high level of physical fitness at all stages of pregnancy.” – Tara J
“Bodies for birth is the most amazing gift to a prenatal and post partum mama! As a women’s health physical therapist, it’s amazing to have a fitness professional and RN who is knowledgeable and safe! I can’t say enough positive things about Maura and Bodies for Birth.” – Allison F
“Maura is caring, passionate, knowledgable, open-minded and a visionary. Upon meeting her, I knew that I wanted to be a part of what she has been creating, so I started a group class at Bodies for Birth in pre-conception. I was delighted by how welcoming everyone was and inspired by each woman’s strength, and certain that Maura and her training played a role in it. My movement habits had been very inconsistent for several months and I knew that I needed some guidance and accountability to get back on track. I loved the format of each class, enjoyed the variety of exercises and really appreciated the way Maura would bring in the connection to the labor and delivery or other aspects of the perinatal period. She paid attention to each person’s needs and provided many ideas for modifications. One class, my shoes were very uncomfortable and before I even really noticed what was happening, she asked if my feet were okay. My experience was overwhelmingly positive because not only did I get back into regular movement, I made new friends, had fun and as a health professional with a focus on care of families through preconception, pregnancy and beyond, I can even more confidently recommend Maura and Bodies for Birth.” – Michelle L